Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Adventures in Teaching English: Bathroom Visits

In my previous kindy class, I had a problem with kids wanting to go to the bathroom way to much. They were constantly asking me to go. I knew that it wasn't possible that they needed to go so much. If one kid asked, they all asked. I talked about it with my Korean co-teacher, and she said I really needed to limit. I implemented a system where a sticker would be taken away if they had to visit the bathroom. It worked. Kids would go between classes (with my helpful reminder) and wouldn't ask. One day, a very smart boy named Jack asked me to go to the bathroom. I told him he could but that meant he would lose a sticker. He just stared at me with an intense glare. I could tell he had a huge internal struggle between bathroom and sticker. After a minute or so, I could see some water gathering in his eyes so I told him just to go and I wouldn't erase his sticker. He just sat there with his hand in his mouth. I walk over there to try and convince him to just go. But it was too late! Pee was all over the seat and floor. The lengths these kids will go in order to keep their stickers!

No comments:

Post a Comment