Tuesday, March 17, 2009

White Pi

Last Saturday was sort of a big date. First, it was White Day in Korea. This is similar to Valentine's Day. On VDay in Korea, the women will give chocolate to guys. On WDay (Mar 14), men will give chocolate to the girls. It's really another holiday made up by the chocolate companies. I'm not dating anyone so I really didn't give a flip. Except my lady co-workers got plently of candies while I was left empty handed.

It was also Pi Day. Think back to middle school math and the pi symbol. Remember what it equals? Pi = 3.14 = Mar 14 I was supposed to have pie, but I totally forgot to buy some.

Some friends and I did head to Seoul for Lotte World, a half indoor half outdoor theme park. It was pretty awesome. We took the subway there so we didn't walk outside for outdoors (there's an entrance gate in the station). It was almost like the Magic Kingdom except on a much smaller scale. Our first ride was a hot-air balloon that circled around the indoor part. We rode a few other rides but nothing too exciting. Some of the people I was with didn't really want to ride anything too extreme so we really spent most of the day walking around. We did get to ride the Gyro Swing, which is this huge spinning wheel that swings up over all of the buildings. Needless to say, I really want to head back sometime with some fellow thrill seekers. I was pretty beat when I got home that night.

On Sunday, I headed to Namdaemun market with some of the newbie teachers. They wanted to buy some Korean things. I ended up buying some things myself. I bought a traditional Korean game called yut. I really didn't want to go; my stomach and my body ached. I had a good time, anyways. When we walked around looking for a place to eat, our Korean manager called us because he wanted to cook dinner for us. Perfect timing! His Korean friend came over later to play yut with us. He distracted us Americans by bringing ice cream with him. Consequently, we failed in our mission to bring down the Koreans.

Pictures will be forthcoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment