Thursday, December 18, 2008

Holiday Update

I haven't updated in while so here are some updates on Christmas things going on here in Korea.

Christmas Packages
I've been pretty much blown away by the Christmas packages sent to me. My family sent me a box full of Christmas gifts, Christmas food, some decorations, and other little goodies. My gifts are sitting under the tree waiting to be opened! Another friend sent me a package full of decorations. I love Christmas packages!

Namdaemun Christmas Shopping
In Seoul, there is a big outdoor market called Namdaemun. This is the place to go to in Seoul for Korean souvenirs. There are many stores, and the price is usually cheaper. I decided to go there for some Christmas shopping for people back home. Even though I went alone, it was a pretty awesome experience. It really felt like Christmas. It was cold, the crowds were bursting, decorations were strewn about, the Christmas lights shined brightly at night, the trees were sparkling, the Korean techno Christmas music was pumping. It was so nice; it put me in such a good mood that I just went crazy with buying things. Then, it started to come a heavy snow. At that moment, it really felt like Christmas. The snow blanketed the whole market; it was so beautiful! Unfortunately, I forgot my camera and let it in the apartment, and I wasn't able to take any pictures. I couldn't have taken many, though, because my hands were full of bags.

Christmas Tree Decorating
One of the foreign teachers at my school decided to give me her Christmas tree because she wasn't going to use hers this year. I was all for that! So I decided to invite all of the teachers at my school over to place on Dec 4 for a tree decorating party. It was such an excellent time. I made my co-workers a Korean dish, and the head manager at the school even gave us 50 bucks to order pizza and chicken (she actually intended for us to buy pig head meat, but one of the other foreigners was not up for it). After dinner, we then decorated the tree with lights, ornaments, and the traditional tinsel. One of the teachers even made ornaments just for the occasion. Another teacher took decorations from the school so we could have more. After finishing the tree, we made some hot chocolate, turned off the overhead lights, and enjoyed the sparkling beauty of the tree.









Making Hotteok (호떡)
One of my good Korean friends and I decided to made a traditional Korean-style pancake one night. Even though it's not a Christmas food, you can usually buy them on the street in the winter. It is like a pancake except it's smaller, and it's insides are filled with brown sugar, cinnamon, and nuts. After making the balls, you place it in a frying pan, let it get nice and warm, and then push it down into a pancake form. Oh, it was so yummy!





Christmas Cards
After a few late nights, I finally got all of Christmas cards sent off. I hope all of them make it there before Christmas, but I think I waited too long. Now, it's in the hands of Korea Post and the USPS.

More Photos
2008.12.04 Christmas Tree Decorating Party
2008.12.14 Making Hotteok (호떡)

1 comment:

  1. Makes me happy to know that you have a tree. I know how much you love Christmas, your decorations and tree. Also, helps me too know that you have great friends there that take care of you. We are going too miss you terrible this Christmas, but you also will be here in our hearts. Love and Miss You.

    ReplyDelete