Tuesday, December 23, 2008

An Everland Christmas


Last Saturday, some friends from church and I went to Everland, which is an amusement park south of Seoul. This is the largest theme park in Korea, and they were having a big Christmas festival when we went. After an hour and half bus ride, we finally arrived and were super siked. As we walked through the park, we were filled with adrenaline after seeing all the decorations and the super exciting rides. We started out the day with a show called Santa Express, which had a vast array of dances from all over world. We were struck by the high number of white foreigners in the show; I heard Everland likes to hire foreigners as entertainers because of the good image. I loved it when the whole area was filled with fake snow during the show; I love snow, real or not.






After the show, we decided to hit up some rides. We went to ride the T-express, which has the steepest drop in the world. We were basically blown away. I couldn't feel my face or hands after we got off. We then headed to the nearby snow hill, where people can go sleigh riding for free. What better way to warm up than to have snow slushing all over your body?






We then went throughout the rest of the park and rode all that we could. We went to haunted houses, houses that go topsy turvey, rides that twisted and swung us all over the place. On one ride, one of our friends dropped her phone, camera, and t-money card (with about $100 on it). We saw the phone drop as we twisted upside down; luckily, it survived what should have been a tragic end to its life. We didn't discover the missing camera and t-money until later. So, we went back to the ride twice looking for those items after searching all over the park. Luckily, the t-money card was found, and the camera was still in great condition even though it no case at all. I thought it was funny that after one of the park employees gave us bad news, they would suddenly smile, wave with two hands, and say goodbye.

After riding as much as possible all day, we ended the day with a giant firework display tuned to Christmas music and a Christmas-light parade. Those things put us in an extreme holiday spirit.






I decided that my new goal in life is to be an employee at Everland. I have a few choices for employment. I could be one of the foreigners that entertain the Korean audiences. I could also be one of the ride attendants that sing and dance while they control your fate with the flip of a switch. I also wouldn't mind being one of the cleaners that wear polar bear hats and skate around the park with brooms; I don't care to clean up as long as I can skate all day. If all else fails, I could be one of the people that stand outside rides and shops and wave with both hands while saying "Merry Christmas" constantly.

After figuring out how to catch a bus back home, we finally got back at about 11, and I just basically passed out on the couch. It was a great way to spend the holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment