Thursday, December 18, 2008

Sickness Shows Love

As I noted before, I had been suffering from a horrible cough. I'm happy to report that I have successfully passed it on to others and seem to be mostly better. Best of all, I have my voice back, and I can speak again. Although I hate sickness (especially ones that eradicate your lungs), this sickness was somewhat special. It made me realize how much people care for me here, especially at my school. Friends took me to doctors or pharmacists, and others gave me plenty of advice (I heard "keep warm" and "get lots of rest" plenty of times). The head western teacher acted almost like a mother. She was constantly giving me medicine and making sure that I was taking it (I felt guilty taking it since it was medicine her family sent to her from the states). She was always on my case about taking care of myself. She even taught a class for me so I could go see a doctor. The top manager even bought me a brand new thermos so I could have hot drinks throughout the day. One of the other Korean teachers at the school also bought me some long-johns to wear. The doctor (a friend of my friend) even gave me free medicine, free acupuncture treatment twice, and a free head massage. Even after my sickness ended, two of the teachers at the school gave me some dishes to use in my apartment (my good Korean friend told them that I didn't have much). It has been so great knowing how deeply people really care for me. I've certainly been blessed with such a great school and great relationships.

I'm certainly happy to finally be done with the sickness, though. I was starting to get a little worried. My voice is pretty valuable here in Korea; I get paid to talk to kids. I started to think to myself that I might get fired if I don't get healed quickly. Luckily, it never came to that. haha

By the way, sorry for the delay in posting. I've been so busy lately with little breathing time. I hope you can forgive me.

3 comments:

  1. Sure easies my mind that you have a mother figure there who will watch over you and insist you take medicine when you need it. I am very happy too hear that you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me tell you, if you keep teaching kids you will keep getting sore throats. It comes with the territory. Germs plus yelling.

    After a couple years of teaching I ended up getting my tonsils out here. The good news is the medical care is cheap and good in Korea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing I'm not teaching in the states with low pay and expensive bills.

    ReplyDelete