Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Global Crisis! (Global Ed, That Is)

Don't worry, the world isn't coming to an end (that I know of). Things are getting a little crazy in the Global Education Department, my work-study. I'm the student worker of the Administration Assistant, Matt Cram-Smith. Matt just happens to be Australian (I love the accent and that he constantly calls me "mate"); he graduated from Carson-Newman a year ago. International students are normally not allowed to work in the country, but after graduation they are given the option to work somewhere in America for a year's time. After that they are expected to leave. Well, Matt was doing this little year working thing while he was trying to get a visa to work here permanently; he took over this position after Mrs. Shoemaker left. We are now in the midst of trying to prepare for the very stressful International Student Reception at the president's house (CN's president, of course). Well, Monday I find out that Matt is no longer allowed to work in the office! His year's time has expired, and he doesn't have a visa. The State Department is for some reason reluctant to give him one. So now I have all these little duties piling up on me as the 6-hours-a-week student worker. None of us in the office really know at what stage Matt is at in preparations for the dinner. I've been trying to get as much done as possible, but things are quite confusing (there are like three different RVP lists...craziness!). I just hope that Matt soon gets his visa straightened out, and he can come back! I know a little bit of what to do, but I certainly don't know as much as Matt does!

filed under:

No comments:

Post a Comment