Thursday, March 23, 2006

A Major in High School?

Under a new plan proposed by Governor Jeb Bush, high school students would have to declare a major and a minor upon entering high school. I'm not sure if this makes the most sense or not. What freshman in high school knows what they definitely want to do when they graduate from college? There are very few of those type of students. Most college students don't even know; many change majors at least two or three times. Wouldn't this just put more unneeded pressure on students? I also think that high school students need to explore all subjects. Let them discover different classes and avoid becoming too focused. They might become too fixed in one subject to even consider another that might be more fitting for them. I know that I would not like getting too focused in high school, but that's me. (story here)

filed under:

2 comments:

  1. Well, I feel sorry for the students in Florida! I've had enough problems in college with determining my major. I can't even begin to imagine the stress of having to declare a major in high school. That is one of the most absurd and not-well-though-out propositions that I have heard in a while.

    ReplyDelete