Thursday, November 17, 2005

The Belmont Blues


Looks like Belmont University will no longer be funded by the Tennessee Baptist Convention. The Baptists passed the resolution at their annual gathering. The school will lose $2.3 million as a result of the move. It seems like Belmont's main sticking point was that they wanted to elect trustees that were not appointed by the TBC; according to the Tennessean, the school wanted to elect up to 40% non-Baptist trustees. This does create some good news for my own school, Carson-Newman (another TBC institution); CN will now be receiving $500,000 more than our previous funding amount. As sad as I hate to see Belmont go, I'm glad CN is getting the extra money! Maybe we can finally start construction on those new buildings? I am somewhat glad that I didn't go to Belmont (which I had highly considered). I knew the school was a Baptist college, but I didn't know about its reputation among TBC colleges as a "liberal" school. If I was a student there now, I would somewhat be disappointed that the school would be making a move away from its Baptist foundation; it is kind of sad when you think about it. (story here)

filed under: , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment