Thursday, December 04, 2008

Pilgrim Lost in Korea

Last Thursday was Thanksgiving, of course. Even though I'm half across the world from the Free World, I had to of course take part in some Thanksgiving festivities. The foreign head teacher at my school (my manager) invited all of the teachers and staff at our school to her house for a big Thanksgiving dinner. Luckily, I've found someone hear who had a great fondness of holiday activities. Unfortunately, we had to work that day since it was a Thursday, but we started right after school ended.

Us Americans wanted to share this uniquely American holiday with our Korean friends; I thought I should share some traditions, like some traditional dress. I've always wanted to dress up like pilgrim for Thanksgiving, and I thought what better time than the present. The outfit was a hit. The head manager of the school loved it; I should probably wear it at least once a week.

We all had a great time together. The apartment was decked out with colorful leaves, which I helped make, falling from the ceiling. We had all kinds of food. We didn't have turkey (a real one costs about $80), but we did have some beef and chicken. We also had the traditional favorites, like green been casserole, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and even salad with Ranch dressing. Yummy! I even found a pecan pie in the supermarket that I shared with everyone. After we finished eating, we all sat in a circle and shared what we are thankful for. Of course, translations were a must for a few people; the head manager doesn't know English so the poor Korean teachers were stuck translating everything.

Even though I wasn't in America and wasn't able to do all my usual traditional things, I still had a great holiday. It felt nice sharing this holiday of ours with the Koreans. Being in Korea, actually makes me especially thankful for the things and people I took for granted while living back in America.

My pecan pie:


Pilgrim pride:


The food!


There's something out of place with this picture:


Those crazy Wisconsinites:



Here are some more pictures:

Pilgrim Lost in Korea

No comments:

Post a Comment