Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas in Korea

I woke up to find my cookies left for Santa were gone. Santa had came! He even left out some kimchi...who would have thought it?


I started out my Christmas morning with a call back home, where the family was celebrating our annual Christmas Eve dinner. After talking to everyone back home, I then opened the presents that my family had sent me. I got plenty of Christmas Story ornaments to add to my tree. It was great to have something from my family for Christmas. Even though I was alone, I felt they were near.




After watching A Christmas Story, I then headed over to the apartment of one of the teachers at my school. She had a big Christmas brunch for everyone at our church. It was very nice to hang out with everyone and have a great breakfast. I was pretty stuffed afterwards; I felt the grease slowing moving through my body.


After watching Christmas Vacation, I then headed back to my place to meet a good friend of mine. We watched How the Grinch Stole Christmas because my other Christmas movies were not working at well. After that, he was pretty hungry so we headed out for dinner. He asked me what I wanted, and I instantly thought about the Chinese Peking Duck Christmas dinner in A Christmas Story. I said, "duck!" So he took me to a duck restaurant. Even though a whole duck wasn't served to us and I didn't get a "fa-ra-ra" rendition of Deck the Halls, it was still great. The duck was cut up a, mixed with vegetables and a spicy sauce, and prepared right at our table. We also had some duck-bone soup and fried rice.





After that, we headed over to West Sea and Incheon's Wolmido. There, we were greeted by a small amusement park where we slammed into each other with bumper cars and then tried a go on a DDR rip-off. We then walked along the boardwalk while at the same time freezing our butts off from the frigid air blowing in from the sea.

We couldn't stand the freezing air for very long so we headed back to my apartment in Bucheon. We listened to Christmas music and the only light shining was the twinkling lights from my Christmas tree. We ate some Christmas cake and just hung out. I then called my family back home, where they were just waking up and starting their Christmas morning. After wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, my friend and I watched A Christmas Story; I thought I needed to share it to other cultures. We then hung out for the rest of the night, and he spent the night here. It was great to have someone with me on Christmas night; otherwise, I might have been pretty sad.


Even though I was away from everyone that I love, I still had a good Christmas. It was especially nice since I was able to share the day with friends that I've met while here in Korea.

Here are more pictures:
2008.12.25 Christmas Day

No comments:

Post a Comment