Friday, November 21, 2008

Adventures in Teaching English: Part 2

Friday was a nice little day for teaching.  Not only was it the end of the week, but I was also full of energy for some strange reason.  I was bouncing all over the place and was more talkative more that normal.  My partner teacher for my kindy class even commented that I was "alive" today.  I guess I'm dead on other days?  I did make another kid cry today.  I was going over phonics (short o and short u sounds) in a class with some small kids.  After reviewing the sounds, I would say the word of a picture in the book, and they would have to write it down.  Most, however, did not listen to me and tried to write it on their own.  As you can imagine, it is pretty frustrating when they aren't listening.  One kid stood up and said, "Shawn Teacher! What?," as he pointed at his empty page that I had already covered.  I didn't yell at him, but I did talk to him strongly about not listening.  As soon as I stopped, he sat down, took off his glasses, and broke down in tears.  I couldn't pay him any attention, though, because it just encourages them to do it more.  Actually, that raises the count of boys I have seen cry verus the number of girls.  I have seen so many boys cry but very few girls.  That seems strange to me; I guess Korean boys are a tad wimpy.

On a lighter note, I was walking out of the classroom with my arms full of stuff heading to the classroom.  As usual, two boys were standing at the door of the teacher's room waiting to help me carry my stuff.  As soon as they grabbed my stuff, they ran down the hall and around the corner.  I knew what they were up to; they were waiting around the corner to scare me.  So, I walked slowly up to the corner and took a peek down the hall.  One boy's head was turned around talking to the other boy.  The other boy saw me and stared so the first boy naturally turned around to find my face right in his.  All of a sudden, he scrieked and callapsed on the floor.  I couldn't help but laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment