Monday, October 06, 2008

Adventures in Teaching English

In our classes, we have the sticker reward system. Teachers give out stickers for good behavior, answering questions, etc. When a student fills their sticker book, they get a prize from the school. In my kindergarten class, I write everyone's name on the board and draw a star (indicating a sticker) next to each name. When a kid is rowdy or disobeys me, I promptly erase a sticker. Today, one my kids (English name Jack) grabbed one my of scissors in my teaching basket and acted like he was going to throw it across the table at another student. Of course, he was just playing around and would never actually throw it. I yelled, "no, Jack!" and immediately erased his star/sticker. Instantly, Jack's face was filled with utter disgust and tears gushed from his eyes (we actually just learned that word last week...the irony...haha). I then had to spend the last few minutes of class calming him down (boys are so emotional in Korea). Poor kid! He loses his sticker because he acts like he is going to kill someone; such a shame!

In other news, I was given a bike today by one of the fellow western teachers at my school. It actually belonged to a previous teacher at the school that returned back to the States. I went to Homeplus (Americans think Wal-Mart) to get a chain for my seat (crime is very low here except for bicycle theft...the seat is not safe either). I was looking around the aisle with a dazed look, and then this friendly worker came up to me and spoke some Korean. I tried to explain to her that I was looking for a chain. She spoke to me some more in Korean, and I answered yes (in Korean) hoping she was saying the right things. Obviously, she wasn't because she giggled a little when I answered that way. Some Korean woman and her husband were passing as I was trying to speak; the wife came up to me and offered to help me out because she spoke English. I explained to her my situation, and she found out for me that they don't have what I need. Instead, I need to go down the street to E-mart (another Wal-Mart type store). Oh well, maybe I'll also get lucky there.

As I was walking home from Homeplus, I passed by one of the many street vendors around town. I always glance to see what is cooking (usually the same stuff as every where else). This time, there was a group of teenage friends hanging around...probably enjoying a late night snack after school (keep in mind this is about 11:30pm). I thought I heard a faint "hi" as I passed, but I ignored it. As I walked a little further, one of the guys yelled out, "You are handsome. I love you." (you must know that most Koreans often don't hold back from using the English word "love") He says this as he places his arms over his head in a heart-shaped fashion. All I could yell in response was "thanks!"

No comments:

Post a Comment