Thursday, October 05, 2006

BREAKING: No Confidence in Jimmie


Carson-Newman's faculty voted this morning regarding the confidence in our President, Dr. James Netherton (lovingly, or not so, called Jimmie). The faculty voted "no confidence" (129-71) in the management of the college under President Netherton. The faculty, however, certainly has no power to hire or fire the President. The issue will now be forwarded to the trustees. I have no idea where it will go after that; I was caught a little surprise by this morning's vote. I had heard rumors that something was going down today, but the rumors were confirmed this morning when announced in the Jefferson County Standard Banner and Knoxville News-Sentinel. I feel, though, that there is a good chance that Jimmie will be packing his bags at the college's executive house. There is also a feel, however, that the President is very lovey dubby with the Board of Trustees. If I was the President of this college and I knew that a majority of faculty had no confidence in my leadership, I don't think I would want to stick around that much longer. If Jimmie is kicked out, I won't be sad. Him and the other leadership in the administration building has failed the college, the faculty, and the students. Student enrollment has gone down so much in the past few years, and it is evident around campus. We have such a difficult time retaining students, and there doesn't seem to be a great effort to turn that around. So many wonderful professors have left or are in the processing of leaving. Last year, so many instructors were either fired or went somewhere else; after that, all of us had no idea regarding the direction of the college. Every department on campus has suffered a tightening budget (except maybe athletics). There is such a sense of tension and disenchantment all over campus. Jimmie always boasts his immense involvement around campus, but it is certainly not true. The only time I see him around is when there are big, official events (like graduation). The future of Carson-Newman is at stake, and I hope that the trustees of this college makes the right decision. Although it is disappointing that these events had to unfold in the midst of Homecoming, but I guess it shouldn't be too surprising considering the events leading up to this morning's vote.

KnoxNews story here

tagged

1 comment:

  1. Him and the other leadership in the administration building has failed the college, the faculty, and the students.

    When will you be taking English at CN????

    ReplyDelete