Monday, July 17, 2006

Save the Sunsphere!

It is no great secret that I have a certain fondness of Knoxville's Sunsphere and World's Fair Park. I this this park in downtown certainly makes the Knoxville skyline and downtown area unique; what other city features a giant, golden ball as apart of the skyline. Every time that I pass the city on the Interstate or I visit downtown, I always look up fondly towards that relic of Knoxville history. I can't really explain why I feel so connected to the structure; I wasn't even on this earth yet when the World's Fair was in town. I guess it just makes me proud to be from this area of the world; it reminds me that we can make something of ourselves despite our "scruffy" appearance. The Sphere has been closed to the public for years, and the city has allowed the Tennessee Amphitheater to rot despite its great potential. I'm concerned about the future of the World's Fair area of Knoxville. I hope that future generations will also be able to look fondly up at the Sunsphere and be proud of East Tennessee's accomplishments. I hope that the city takes an active role in restoring the sphere, the amphitheater, and the park as a whole. We need to remember our great past so that we can accomplish even more in the future.

Justin Griffin (KnoxNews) has more here
Barry calls to action here
Silence has some more

tagged ,

1 comment:

  1. I too have a great fondness for the Sunsphere. I was 16 years old when the '82 World's Fair was here in Knoxville. I thought the Sunshpere was about the coolest thing I had ever seen. I still look up at it in awe when I am passing through downtown. I took a picture of it the other day and posted it on my website here.

    ReplyDelete