Wednesday, February 15, 2006

No Re-election for Jenkins

Much beloved Congressman Bill Jenkins (of my home county of Hawkins, TN) has just announced that he will not be seeking re-election after serving many terms. It is sad to see a long-serving Congressman bow out especially since he is one of my homeboys. The media received the press release this morning and reads as follows:

"Serving in the Congress is a great honor and a great responsibility. Both should be shared.

The year remaining on this term of office will be filled with many challenges and much hard work to be done for our country. This decision will allow me to spend more time with my family and to do some things which we have been too busy to do. I intend to remain active as a volunteer and to use the experience that I have to benefit the people of our state and country.

I sincerely appreciate the tremendous support that I have been given by the people of the First Congressional District and I hope to be able to repay the kindness that I have been shown."


This next election for the first Congressional district might actually be interesting considering that the outcome has been mostly predicable for many years. Jenkins has served since the retirement of 17-term Jimmy Quillen.

(story here, wikipedia here, official website here)

filed under: , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment